Thursday, May 20, 2010

Totally off topic post warning!

Car idling is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. But what bothers me even more is that I don’t feel I can do anything about it.

I was sitting in the car this morning in a parking lot between home visits. I had some time, so I was checking my messages and making notes.

A car pulled up beside me and a woman got out with a little dog. She seemed to be giving it a little rest stop on the lawn of this building. Fine. But she left her car running the whole time!

I got nosy and peered through the window and checked – there were no other people or animals in the car. Even if there were, it’s a beautiful sunny day out, so could be absolutely no need to keep the heat running. If she was concerned about the car getting too hot, she could have opened the windows. I don’t get it! She was out of the car at least 15 minutes.

I briefly considered confronting her when she came back to her car, but couldn’t figure out a way that it wouldn’t sound really rude – let’s face it, that’s not going to get me anywhere, even if it would be fun. I fantasized about hopping in her car and driving away, since she had so kindly left the keys for me – but I’m not really interested in incurring criminal charges while on the job.

I wrote her a note: Please do not idle your car. There is no reason for it.

I stuck it on the windshield, then drove away before she could come back.

I can only hope she will take it to heart, and not just discard it on the ground. But I wouldn’t put it past such a serious car-idler (idler? is this a word?) to be a little bug as well.

*we will return shortly with your regularly scheduled blog*

No comments:

Post a Comment